The St. Jacob’s Cemetery was jointly established in circa 1847 by the union congregations of Lutheran and Reformed Churches. This Union Church arrangement ended in 1889 although the cemetery continued to be jointly managed by both congregations.
In April 1923 the title to the cemetery was passed to the St. Jacob’s Cemetery Association. This explains why the St. Jacob’s Cemetery which sits immediately south of the church does not belong to the church.
The first burials were in circa 1847 but a few tombstones dating from as early as circa 1824 are found in the old section. Cemetery records, from 1880, note that some graves were moved from the White Hall Cemetery, at the intersection of Applegrove St. & Kent Ave., to St. Jacob’s cemetery.
Over the years, more land has been acquired in order to expand the cemetery. The original land was purchased from Jacob Baird. The next two additions, were obtained from the Weaver and Snyder families in 1888 and years later the Shoemaker addition was added.